Process Info / Terms of Service
Commission Info | Terms of Service
Thank you for considering a commission of my artwork!
By commissioning me, you kindly agree to the following terms of service, which protects both you as the client and I as the artist.
Sketches & WIP's, Edits & Revisions, Completion Time
- After I receive your references and/or description, I'll reply to your message with an exact quote. If you confirm the quote works for you, I will let you know an estimated start date. If the starting date works for you, I will then reserve a slot for you. I will contact you with payment info when it is your turn.
- I will send you a color sketch for you to approve and/or ask for edits before I begin the painting process. You may ask for any edits you'd like during the sketch stage.
- After you approve the sketch, I can send additional work-in-progress images ("WIP's") at your request. You may ask for minor edits during each WIP stage at no additional cost. Significant edits after the sketch has been approved (ie: adding a complex accessory or weapon) are subject to an additional cost at my discretion.
- Completion Info
- Most commissions are finished within 1-2 weeks from the start time, unless they are more complex than usual (i.e.: multiple characters, detailed background). Highly complex commissions can take 1-2 months.
- I will be able to give you an approximation for how long your piece will take after I know the complexity of your idea (after seeing references).
- If the finished artwork is needed by a specific date, feel free to let me know! I am happy to work under a deadline. I will always only accept your commission if I am sure I will complete it by your deadline.
How and when payments can be made
- Payment is through PayPal using invoices. All rates are in USD.
- Payment can be made 1/2 at the start and 1/2 upon completion, or all up-front. I start working after I receive the first payment.
- You will receive a watermarked, lower-resolution image for review, and will receive the unwatermarked, full resolution image after the final payment is made.
- Whichever payment option you choose, payment is not required until I'm ready to start on your painting. You are likewise free to send it anytime before then - whichever works best for your schedule!
- Rates listed above are base rates and depend upon the complexity and scope of each specific piece.
- Refund Policy
- If a commission is cancelled before work has begun, a full refund can be given.
- If cancellation occurs during or directly after the preliminary stage (sketches, research/references, etc), 50% of the total commission rate can be refunded.
- Refunds are not possible once painting has started (the stage after the sketch is approved).
Rights ownership for both client and artist
- Unless otherwise discussed, all commissions are private/personal commissions that are only paying for artist labor, and I retain full rights to my artwork (including preliminary sketches). Full rights include the right to use, publish, repost, and alter the artwork, as well as selling prints, creating merchandise, or compiling anthologies/books.
- Clients will always fully own their character(s), given they are the ones who own the character(s).
- Clients have the right to use their commissioned artwork for personal, non-commercial use with proper credit. This includes reposting the web versions of my artwork on their accounts as long as my signature/watermark is visible, or the artwork is credited and linked back to any of my galleries (Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, DeviantArt, LizLiu.com, etc.).
- Clients likewise have the right to print the full resolution version of the artwork for their private use.
- Clients may not use or resell the artwork commercially, unless full rights are bought at an additional cost or a royalty agreement agreed upon, which can be discussed in private.
- "Commercial use" is inclusive of "NFT minting," and all previously stated terms apply: Clients do not have the right to mint an NFT of their commission in any way, shape, or form (including any derivative links which include the commissioned artwork, such as but not limited to posts of the commissioned artwork on social media).
What I will paint
- I am happy to paint content that is considered "safe for work." Content in the PG-13/mature range (ie: nudity or violence/gore) is decided on a case-by-case basis. Requests beyond these which are "not safe for work" (i.e.: adult in nature) are not accepted at this time.
- If you're unsure whether I'd accept your idea, please feel free to ask! I am happy to answer any questions.
I have the right to alter my commission information and terms of service; any alterations will not affect client agreements to previous terms.
If you have any questions, thoughts, or suggestions after reading this ToS, feel free to contact me at Liz@LizLiu.com
Liz Liu // Landylachs